As pressures increased to improve port facilities, the New Zealand government appointed harbour masters. In 1870 it established a system of local harbour boards. One of the most powerful was the Wellington Harbour Board. It operated from this room on the first floor of a Queen’s Wharf building designed by Frederick de Jersey Clere. Here the chair of the board speaks on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of board management of Wellington Harbour, in February 1980. The room is now part of Wellington Museum.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.