In 1883–85 the New Zealand Shipping Company and Shaw Savill & Albion built big steamers for the United Kingdom–New Zealand run to take over from sailing ships a fifth or a quarter their size. They still sported yards and sails on their masts, but engine power now mattered, especially the new-fangled compound engines that cut coal consumption and freed up more space for cargo. The 5,086-ton Arawa carried 95 first-class, 56 second-class and 670 steerage passengers in addition to cargo.
Using this item
Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa
Reference: Neg. no. 719
Permission of the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa must be obtained before any re-use of this image.