Lake Wakatipu was a stronghold of inland shipping. A succession of steamers connected Queenstown, lakeside sheep stations and the Kingston railhead. The most famous steamer is ‘the Lady of the Lake’, the Earnslaw of 1912. She was designed and manufactured at Dunedin, railed in parts to Kingston and reassembled and launched into the lake, where she still operates. This photograph was taken in 1956.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.