In the late 1870s and early 1880s the Union Steam Ship Company changed the way people crossed the Tasman Sea, building eight large new ships of between 1,700 tons and 2,000 tons. This photograph, taken on 30 June 1884, shows passengers boarding one of the ships, the Wairarapa, at Russell for a pleasure cruise.
Using this item
Museum of Wellington City and Sea
Reference: Neg. no. 4558
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.