Once the ship was on the blocks, dock workers positioned stout timber bracing to keep it in place before pumping out the dock. The 7,267-ton Strathlairg had been built for the British India Steam Navigation Company as the Chakdina in 1951, and was transferred to parent group P&O 22 years later. Renamed Strathlairg in 1975, it was scrapped in Taiwan in 1977.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.