The Platypus was an iron-plate submarine, over 10 metres long. It was built by a Dunedin ironworks in 1873 to mine for underwater gold. However, trouble during the second trial threatened the viability of the project. Fifty years later, after rusting on the wharf, the submarine was cut into three parts. The two front parts, pictured here, are now held at the Strath Taieri Historical Museum in Middlemarch, Otago.
Using this item
Strath Taieri Historical Museum
Photograph by G. Brett
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.