Some pā were established in the Marlborough Sounds by Ngāti Apa as early as the 16th century. Horahora Kākahu pā in Port Underwood was possibly one of these. It was also the place where Major Bunbury proclaimed British sovereignty over the Middle (now South) Island in June 1840, after local chiefs of Ngāti Toa and Rangitāne had signed the Treaty of Waitangi.
Using this item
Department of Conservation
Photograph by Kevin Jones
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.