The larger, fluted shells in the centre of this photo belong to Pacific oysters, which attach themselves to dead shells or rocks. Their sharp-edged shells are a hazard for barefoot beachcombers. Pacific oysters arrived in New Zealand waters around 1950, reaching the Marlborough Sounds in 1977. Since the 1990s they have been commercially farmed; these oysters in Ōhiwa Harbour, Bay of Plenty, probably originated from an oyster farm further up the bay.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Peter Hodsell
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.