The Community Arts Service (CAS) was founded by adult education staff at Auckland University College in 1946. The service organised tours of performing artists and exhibitions into rural areas. CAS was phased out in the early 1960s and its work was taken over by the Queen Elizabeth II Arts Council (now Creative New Zealand). This is the Auckland Community Arts Service Ensemble in 1953. That year they toured the North Island, performing Giovanni Pergolesi's 18th-century opera La serva padrona.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.