All land seaward of Lambton Quay and Thorndon Quay in inner-city Wellington is reclaimed: between 1852 and 1973 over 155 hectares were added to the harbour’s south-western shoreline. Until 1853 a Māori fishing village (Kumutoto kāinga) was located at the mouth of the Kumutoto stream; today this site is the intersection of Lambton Quay and Woodward Street.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Melanie Lovell-Smith
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.