This pātaka (storehouse), Te Takinga, was displayed at the 1888–89 Centennial International Exhibition in Melbourne. The New Zealand section at international exhibitions in the 19th century usually included fine examples of Māori carving and weaving. At first these were shown as remnants of a colourful but bygone age, but gradually they came to be presented as symbols of New Zealand. Often an impressive structure such as this was the centrepiece.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Photograph by John William Lindt
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Add new comment