Rongomaitāpui, opened in 1938, is the magnificent dining hall at Hinerupe marae, at Te Araroa on the East Coast. Its interior decoration includes many tukutuku panels and other traditional craftworks produced by women workers. According to Māori custom, these women would not have been able to work on a carved meeting house but were vital to the completion of less tapu buildings such as Rongomaitāpui.
Using this item
Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa
Permission of the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa must be obtained before any re-use of this image.