This kāuta (cooking shed) was in use at Parihaka, Taranaki, around 1900. The front wall appears to be made from short sections of unmilled timber – these could also serve as fuel for the cooking fires. The women are wearing white feathers in their hair, a sign that they are followers of Te Whiti-o-Rongomai, the founder and spiritual leader of the Parihaka community.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.