This is architect Humphrey Hall's own house in Timaru, not long after its completion in 1938. Hall had recently returned from Europe, where modernism was the latest fashion. His home was among New Zealand's first modernist houses. Its strongly linear forms, use of pilotis (columns) and rooftop terrace shows the influence of the French architect Le Corbusier.
Using this item
Manatū Taonga – Ministry for Culture and Heritage
Reference: Making New Zealand: pictorial surveys of a century 2, no. 20 (1940), p. 24
Photograph by S. A. Bremford
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.
Courtesy of Anderson & Bremford Studios