McLean's Mansion (originally called Holly Lea) was built for Allan McLean and completed in 1900. McLean built the house following the compulsory acquisition of his pastoral estate under the Liberal government's closer settlement scheme. Designed by Christchurch architect Robert England in the Jacobean style, the house featured twin towers and a Flemish-like pediment. Its main attribute was its size – boasting 53 rooms, it was reportedly the largest wooden house in Australasia. After McLean's death it was used as an old people's home, then a dental nurses' hostel and a training centre. It was damaged in the 2011 Christchurch earthquake, but the work of the McLean's Mansion Charitable Trust ensured it was restored and it reopened in 2019.
Using this item
Christchurch City Libraries
Reference: CCL Photo Collection 22, Img02343
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.