New Zealand's first architecturally designed houses were in the Georgian idiom of the classical revival style. This featured rectangular floor plans, symmetrical facades with regular windows, hipped roofs and ground floor verandahs. The Methodist mission house in Mangungu, Hokianga, exemplified the style. It was built in 1838–39 for the Reverend Nathaniel Turner and included two dormer windows. It comprised seven rooms, including a large parlour. The house was relocated to Onehunga in the 1850s, but was returned to Hokianga in the 1970s and restored by the Historic Places Trust (later Heritage New Zealand).
Using this item
Permission of Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga must be obtained before any re-use of this image.