Christchurch's Millers department store and factory was designed by George Hart and opened in 1939. Its flat facade and horizontal window bands referenced the European Bauhaus style of the 1920s. Millers was the first slab construction building in New Zealand, where internal pillars and beams carry the building's load or weight, allowing for cantilevered exterior walls. This nocturnal view from 1939 highlights the structure's modernity. It was sold in 1978 and became the Christchurch City Council offices. The building was demolished following the 2011 Christchurch earthquake.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.