Wellington railway station was designed by Gray Young, Morton and Young and opened in 1937. Its classical revival design mirrored the great American railway terminals like New York's Penn Station; its monumentality reflected a time when railways were the central element in New Zealand's transport infrastructure. The front entrance is dominated by a Doric colonnaded entrance portico, which leads into a capacious and impressive booking hall. This 2014 image shows the main entrance.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Melanie Lovell-Smith
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence