Landmark House in Queen Street, Auckland, was designed by Alva Bartley and Norman Wade for the Auckland Electric Power Board and opened in 1929. It is among the few examples of the Chicago commercial Gothic style of skyscraper architecture in New Zealand, where narrow windows and mullions (piers) are used to emphasise the building's height. The building included a corner tower that was lit at night – a beacon of modernity. During the 1980s much of its interior was gutted as part of a neighbouring development.
Using this item
Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.