The Union Bank in Auckland's Queen Street is shown here not long after its completion in 1864. The bank was designed by Melbourne architect Leonard Terry in the Greek revival style and included a two-storey portico with four Corinthian columns and a balustrade. It was of masonry construction and, when built, was regarded as Auckland's most imposing building. In the foreground is a hawker's cart with people standing around – they are blurred due to the long exposure time required by the photographer.
Using this item
Hocken Library, University of Otago
Photograph by John Kinder
Permission of the Hocken Library Uare Taoka o Hakena, University of Otago, must be obtained before any re-use of this image. Further information may be obtained from the Library through its website.