New Zealand's first church, Christ Church in Kororāreka (later Russell), was built in 1835. It is an uncomplicated design but its lancet (pointed) windows reference the Gothic revival style. During the 1870s a porch and buttresses (for structural support) were added to the church, and a belfry was erected in 1890. In 1971 the original hipped roof was replaced with a gabled one. These changes made it appear more Victorian.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Melanie Lovell-Smith
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence