Painter and sculptor Russell Clark was at the forefront of a new approach to public sculpture that emerged after the Second World War. Contemporary, non-commemorative sculpture began appearing in public places in the 1950s. Prior to this public sculptures were chiefly memorials to people or events.
Clark's 'Anchor stones' (1958–59) were placed next to the Bledisloe Building in central Auckland and have been there ever since. They represent the anchor stones of the Matahourua and Tainui waka (canoes), which transported the first Polynesian migrants to New Zealand in the 13th century.
Using this item
Photograph by Emily Tutaki
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.