This is the Hawke's Bay Museum and Art Gallery at Napier in 1938. The museum and gallery was opened in 1936, five years after the Hawke's Bay earthquake. The new building was financed by local fundraising efforts. A stimulus for the project was the offer by Lady Florence Maclean to donate her major collection of antiques, artefacts and archives to the museum, provided it could be housed in a safe building.
Using this item
MTG Hawke's Bay Tai Ahuriri, Hawke's Bay Museums Trust/Ruawharo Ta-u-rangi collection
Permission of MTG Hawke’s Bay, P.O. Box 248, Napier, New Zealand must be obtained before any re-use of this image