The last fighting in the northern war occurred here at Ruapekapeka pā in January 1846. Another masterly fortification constructed under the direction of the chief Kawiti, the pā was eventually abandoned by Ngāpuhi.
Using this item
Department of Conservation
Photograph by Kevin Jones
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.