This is the Colonial Laboratory, in Sydney Street West, Wellington. This building was completed in 1905, when James Scott Maclaurin was analyst at the Mines Department. The Colonial Laboratory was originally set up in 1865, under the direction of James Hector, with William Skey as chemical analyst. The first Colonial Laboratory was attached to the Colonial Museum in Museum Street. Here the building is draped in mourning after the death of Premier Richard Seddon.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.