Story: Radio

'Toots' Mitchell and 4XD staff

'Toots' Mitchell and 4XD staff

D. G. 'Toots' Mitchell (far left), the founding father of Dunedin radio station 4ZD, is shown here with other members of the station in the 1940s. They are Ian Little (at the microphone), Ron Ferguson, Harry Dale, John McIlroy and 'Snow' Annison. Mitchell had been among the enthusiasts of the Otago Radio Association who, in 1922, set up the first radio station in New Zealand. The station was one of only two that were not bought up by the state in the mid-1930s. At that time it changed its name to 4XD and was still broadcasting in the 2010s.

Using this item

Radio Dunedin

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Brian Pauling, 'Radio - The state takes over – the 1930s', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/42797/toots-mitchell-and-4xd-staff (accessed 13 December 2019)

Story by Brian Pauling, published 22 Oct 2014