A red carpet stretched the length of Courtenay Place in central Wellington for the world premiere of The Hobbit: an unexpected journey, the first part of Peter Jackson's trilogy, in 2012. The film was screened at The Embassy theatre, known as the De Luxe when it was built in 1924. The cinema was substantially upgraded for the world premiere of Jackson's earlier film The lord of the rings: return of the king in 2003. For the 2012 premiere a giant representation of a Hobbit's front door and the wizard Gandalf was installed above the cinema's front entrance, and can be seen in the top centre of this photograph.
Using this item
Fairfax NZ, Dominion Post
Photograph by Kent Blechnyden
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder by contacting [email protected]