The raised profile of local government and increasing prosperity in the early 20th century saw a boom in town-hall building throughout New Zealand. Auckland's town hall was designed in the classical revival style by the Melbourne firm J. J. and E. J. Clark, and it opened in 1911. Its triangular site at the junction of Queen Street and Grey's Avenue determined its form. Its apex featured an impressive clock tower and crowning cupola. Its interior comprised municipal offices and two performance halls.
Using this item
Auckland City Libraries – Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Photograph by Henry Winkelmann
Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.