Rather than demolish Christchurch's earthquake-damaged Peterborough apartments, David McIntyre of the construction firm Ceres bought the complex in 2012 with the intention of restoring it. The neo-Gothic building had been erected in 1924 as the city's teachers' college. By 1978 the site was too small and the college moved elsewhere. The building served a number of purposes until 1997, when a developer converted it into 37 apartments. Ceres intended bringing the building up to 100% of the building code and then selling the apartments. The restored building will provide a fragment of what the central city looked like before the 2011 earthquake.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.