Story: Historic places

Treaty House, Waitangi

Treaty House, Waitangi

In 1932 Governor-General Lord Bledisloe and his wife gifted to the nation the former house of the British Resident James Busby at Waitangi, and the surrounding land. It was on the grounds outside the house that the Treaty of Waitangi was signed on 6 February 1840. The building was in a dilapidated condition. Rather than being restored to how it had looked when the treaty was signed, it was enlarged to better serve its new purpose as a monument of state. This would be seen as poor conservation practice in the 2010s but was acceptable in the 1930s.

Using this item

Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Melanie Lovell-Smith

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Ben Schrader, 'Historic places - Re-inventing historic buildings, 1930s to 1970s', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/42134/treaty-house-waitangi (accessed 27 November 2020)

Story by Ben Schrader, published 22 Oct 2014, updated 19 Aug 2016