The Anglican St Paul's Church was Auckland's 'official' church after its consecration in 1844. The masonry structure was built on Point Britomart (Emily Place) and became an immediate landmark, visible from many parts of the city and on Waitematā Harbour. This photograph shows the neo-Gothic church in 1884, by which time it had a rather ungainly look following successive extensions. (The original church comprised the tower and steeple and three-windowed nave.) Its association with the first years of Auckland was not enough to save it for posterity. It was demolished in 1885 so Point Britomart could be levelled to create flat harbourside land.
Using this item
Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Photograph by James D. Richardson
Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.