This view takes in New Zealand's oldest European stone and wooden buildings: the Stone Store and Kerikeri mission house. The house was built in 1822 for the Anglican Church Missionary Society's Kerikeri mission. It first housed the Reverend John Butler and then the mission store keeper James Kemp. The Kemp family and its descendants continued to live in the house until 1974, when it was gifted to the New Zealand Historic Places Trust. The Stone Store opened in 1836 as a mission storage depot, but later came into Kemp family ownership. It was bought by the Historic Places Trust in 1976. The buildings and surrounding area are highly valued as a cradle of Pākehā and Māori relations.
Using this item
Flickr: russellstreet's photostream
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 New Zealand Licence
The fact that this was the
neil coaley (not verified)
10 August 2016
Add new comment