This memorial to John Grigg was unveiled in Ashburton in 1905, four years after his death. A tribute to a pioneer settler who had transformed his property, Longbeach, into a prosperous farm, its pedestal incorporates bas reliefs depicting agricultural activities, and figures representing justice, industry, patience and fortitude. The statue was designed by Christchurch architect Samuel Hurst Seager and was executed by Christchurch sculptor Charles Kidson. It was the first major locally created sculpture.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence