What became Auckland's Eden Park was originally Cabbage Tree Swamp. The Kingsland Cricket Club had leased the ground in 1902 and drained it; but, as this photograph shows, in the flood of 1907 it reverted to its traditional watery character. The ground became a major cricket ground when sold to the Auckland Cricket Association in 1910. The rugby union joined the following year and formally signed the lease in 1913.
Using this item
Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.