This large grandstand is in full use at a Caledonian (Scottish) games held at the original Caledonian sports ground in the 1860s or 1870s. The games were an initiative of the Dunedin Caledonian Society, which was established in 1862. The desire to hold Caledonian games was an important reason for the creation of early New Zealand sports grounds. The original location was on North Ground in North Dunedin, but the grandstand was dismantled and re-erected at a new ground on Anderson's Bay Road in South Dunedin in 1876. However, the grounds, though not the stand, were moved again in 2000 back to North Dunedin, at the north end of Logan Park.
Using this item
Hocken Library, University of Otago
Permission of the Hocken Library Uare Taoka o Hakena, University of Otago, must be obtained before any re-use of this image. Further information may be obtained from the Library through its website.