This images shows the original meeting house, opened on Christmas Day 1915, which was built by Ngāti Pūkenga to commemorate the son of the ancestor from whom they take their name. It is one of two main Ngāti Pūkenga meeting houses, the other being Te Kouorēhua, in the Manaia Valley near Coromandel.
The house took many years to build, and was originally without any carvings. In 1989 carvings representing the Mataatua origins of the tribe were completed and unveiled. The genealogy represented in the carvings is as follows:
The dining hall is named for two of Whetū’s wives, Te Atairangikaahu and Kōtare, both of whom descend from crew of the Tainui canoe.
The meeting house pictured was destroyed by fire in 2006 but was rebuilt and reopened in 2008.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.