Trade training apprentice Neil Taite puts finishing touches to the raparapa (bargeboards) and amo (vertical panels), in readiness for the opening of Ngāti Pōneke marae in Wellington in June 1980. The marae dates back to 1929 when a group of Māori formed a social centre for Māori living in Wellington. It was named Ngāti Pōneke ('the Port Nicholson tribe') in 1937, when it aimed to be a place for young people to go and connect with their Māori culture. The opening of the purpose-built marae complex in 1980 signalled a commitment to support Māori living in cities who chose to retain features of their customs and patterns of daily life.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library, Dominion Post Collection (PAColl-7327)
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.