Story: Children’s play

Playground at Masterton Central School, around 1955 (1st of 3)

Playground at Masterton Central School, around 1955

This is playtime at the Masterton Central School in 1955. In contrast to 19th-century school playgrounds, this playground is well-equipped with slides and monkey bars. In the mid-20th century playground equipment was generally made from metal and wood, and with hard surfaces beneath the equipment.

Using this item

Wairarapa Archive
Reference: 95-2/15.R5B1S2

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Peter Clayworth, 'Children’s play - Where children play', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/40857/playground-at-masterton-central-school-around-1955 (accessed 18 August 2018)

Story by Peter Clayworth, published 5 Sep 2013