This hākari (feast) was held around 1932 at Mataatua pā, Ruatāhuna, to celebrate the opening of Te Whai-a-te-Motu meeting house after restoration. Te Whai-a-te-Motu means the chase of the island. It was built for the prophet and resistance leader Te Kooti and commemorates his exploits in escaping from government forces. The feast is laid out outside to accommodate the huge crowd.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.