These salt water swimming baths opened in 1881 on Auckland's Customs Street West. They sat on the harbour's edge, and valves at the end of the pool allowed the tides to refresh the water. The baths were built partly because people were swimming publicly along the foreshore, and causing offence by their state of undress. Enclosed baths protected the public from such sights, and separate opening times for women and men allowed segregated bathing. Gradually more public swimming pools were built in Auckland. In 1914, after declining patronage, the Customs Street West baths closed.
Using this item
Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Photograph by James D. Richardson
Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.