One of the leading Canterbury horse owners and breeders in the 1890s and 1900s was Sir George Clifford, seen here talking to two jockeys, including Harold Young (right). The son of Charles Clifford, first speaker of the New Zealand House of Representatives, George Clifford inherited the baronetcy on his father's death in 1893. He ran a sheep station and horse stud near the Hurunui River, north of Christchurch, called Stonyhurst after his school in England. During nearly half a century, Clifford's horses won 116 races. His success was remarkable, not just for the number of winners, but also the fact that he bred most of them himself. Among the first was a colt named Stonyhurst, a good racehorse before he became the stud's foundation stallion. Clifford was an influential administrator, heading the New Zealand Racing Conference from 1896 until his death 33 years later. He also helped compile the first few volumes of the New Zealand stud book.
Using this item
Private collection, Douglas-Clifford Family Collection
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.