In 1931 sheep farming ceased on Campbell Island and the animals were left to fend for themselves. Concern about damage to plants led to the flock being fenced into one end of the island in 1970. In the summer of 1975–76 a group of scientists went to Campbell Island and collected 10 sheep to bring back to New Zealand as a rare breed. The animals in this photo are penned in against a fence during that operation. They had evolved resistance to foot rot and a propensity to shed their fleeces. In 1980 the remaining sheep on Campbell Island, about 3,000 in number, were shot to allow the megaherbs to recover.
Using this item
Department of Conservation
Photograph by N. Judd
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.