In 1831, after sacking Kaiapohia pā, Ngāti Toa leader Te Rauparaha returned to Akaroa Harbour. Ngāi Tahu of Banks Peninsula had built a pā on the Ōnawe peninsula (pictured, centre). Te Rauparaha captured the pā, but this was as far south as he got.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by John Wilson
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.