Pukerangiora pā was sited on elevated, steep cliffs above the Waitara River in Taranaki. In 1822 Waikato iwi managed to take the pā from Te Āti Awa after a three-month siege. Many defenders leapt into the river from the cliffs to escape capture.
Using this item
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.