Story: Economy

Lake Coleridge powerhouse under construction

Lake Coleridge powerhouse under construction

During the 1920s and 1930s the state built hydroelectric stations which provided electricity for the growing manufacturing sector – in particular the processing of farm produce. The first of the state’s large hydroelectrical schemes was at Lake Coleridge, 100 km from Christchurch on the upper Rakaia Valley, which was opened in 1914 to supply Christchurch’s needs. At that stage it produced 4,500 kilowatts. This rose to 34,500 kilowatts in the 1920s.

About this item

Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Brian Easton, 'Economy - The European economy: a history', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/3746/lake-coleridge-powerhouse-under-construction (accessed 21 October 2017)

Story by Brian Easton, updated 16 Sep 2016