Mt Erebus glows across the Ross Ice Shelf. The area was first seen by the 1840–41 British expedition led by James Clark Ross after they forced their way through pack ice, crossed the Ross Sea, and sighted Mt Erebus and Mt Terror (named after the expedition's ships). The ice shelf was first called the South Polar Barrier. After sailing eastwards along it for 200 miles, the expedition withdrew until the following Antarctic summer season.
Using this item
Photograph by Nigel Roberts
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.