This 1928 gathering of Mr Mastrogeorgiou and friends, complete with guitar, violin, mandolin and appreciative audience, took place in one of the first Greek enclaves in New Zealand: the Wellington suburb of Mt Victoria. A decade later the first Greek school teaching the language and customs would open in the same area. Until the late 20th century Mt Victoria remained a Greek heartland.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library, Greek Orthodox Community of Wellington and Suburbs Collection (PAColl 4924)
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Add new comment