Children and their bowler-hatted teacher stand outside Puketiro School, South Otago, in 1910. This tiny, remote school was typical of many built in rural areas in the 19th and early 20th centuries. It was situated near a railway that was being extended, and the children who attended were the offspring of mill and railway workers. Made of corrugated iron, the building stands among the stumps of trees felled to clear more land for farming.
Using this item
Otago Daily Times
Reference: Otago Witness, 7 December 1910
Permission of the Otago Daily Times must be obtained before any re-use of this image.