Members of the 18th and 57th imperial regiments and the Colonial Defence Force guard Māori prisoners at the Rutland Stockade in Queens Park, Whanganui, in 1867. During the New Zealand wars of the mid-19th century, the armed forces were made up of imperial troops from Britain and professionals and volunteers from New Zealand. The Colonial Defence Force was New Zealand's first permanent military force.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library, William James Harding Collection (PAColl-3042)
Photograph by William James Harding
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Add new comment