An Auckland City Council employee throws inflammable fluid onto solid waste at the council's 'destructor' (public incinerator) in this 1900 photo. Rubbish was burned to prevent the spreading of diseases. The destructor, at the foot of College Hill in Freemans Bay, disposed of rubbish from the entire city. In June 1905 a new destructor building, with ovens and furnaces, was opened. The site later became Victoria Park Markets.
Using this item
Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.